Subscriptions
News
Updated Jan 10, 2023

£200,000 fine after employee suffers injuries after fall

A company has been fined £200,000 after an employee was badly injured and left in a wheelchair from an eight-metre fall through a roof light.

On 5 April 2018, Robin Williamson was carrying out an asbestos survey on the roof of Netherton Community Centre, Glasgow, when he fell from the roof light. While employed by City Property (Glasgow) LLP, he suffered severe injuries including multiple skull fractures, a brain bleed, and multiple spine and rib fractures from the fall.

City Property (Glasgow) LLP were criticised by the Health and Safety Executive after investigation for not:

  • providing a safe system for working at height on external roof areas of the community centre;
  • planning, supervising and organising the work to ensure that the risks are identified and adequate precautions are in place.

City Property (Glasgow) LLP of Exchange House, George Street, Glasgow pleaded guilty to contravening the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The Company was fined £200,000 on 21 December 2022 at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

The Principal HSE inspector, Cameron Adam, commented on the case:

"Falls from a height remain one of the most common causes of work-related fatalities and significant injuries in this country and the risks associated with working at height are well known.

Falls from height are avoidable and Mr Williamson's accident would have been prevented had the risks been properly assessed and the appropriate control measures implemented.

Employers should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards".